Follow Me on Twitter
Spoon and Chopsticks Facebook Page
Follow by email:


I made this traditional Thai dish with my own homemade tamarind sauce. My recipe is done with shrimps. You may use chicken or other meat or even make it vegetarian. Pad Thai has a great combination of sweet, sour and chilli. You can adjust the recipe according to your taste.

Pad Thai

Ingredients for sauce:
  • 2 tbsp tamarind (I used tamarind in block form)
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 100g palm sugar
  • 1 tbsp caster sugar
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
Other ingredients:
  • 150 - 200g shrimps
  • 1/2 red onion, sliced
  • 2 eggs
  • 150-200g rice noodles
  • Garlic chives, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • Bean sprouts
  • Spring onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • Roasted peanuts, chopped
  • 1 green chilli, chopped
  • Chilli powder
  • Oil
  • Lemon
Pad Thai

Preparation:
  • Soak the tamarind in warm water for few minutes. Squeeze with your fingers to separate the pulp from the seeds. Remove the seeds from the liquid.
Pad Thai
  • Pour the liquid in a sauce pan. Add palm sugar, caster sugar, soy sauce and fish sauce. Bring it to a boil to make tamarind sauce.
  • Cook rice noodles and drain water. Set it aside.
  • Heat your wok in high heat. Fry onion and shrimps until the shrimps start changing the colour.
  • Add garlic chives, bean sprouts, green chilli and spring onion. Push contents to the side of the wok and add egg. Mix well with the rest of the ingredients in the wok.
Pad Thai
  • Add the noodles, tamarind sauce, peanuts and chilli powder. Mix well.
  • Serve with additional bean sprouts and sprinkle some crushed peanuts on top.


16 comments:

    Adina said...
    I can't get my hands on some ingredients,but that's why we have improvising. Great dish!
  1. ... on October 2, 2011 at 8:46 PM  
  2. MyKitchen Flavors-BonAppetit!. said...
    WoW!,Superdelicious home-made recipe dear,my fav one.Thanks for sharing.
  3. ... on October 2, 2011 at 11:10 PM  
  4. Peggy said...
    I love making Pad Thai at home - something about it that just tastes so much better than at a restaurant! This looks like a great version =)
  5. ... on October 3, 2011 at 1:14 AM  
  6. cooking varieties-wan maznah said...
    hi spoon and chopsticks, i like this pad thai, bean sprouts is my favorite, especially when eaten raw- very crispy and sweet.
    but have not eaten your way,using lemon and rice noodles. sure great to try this sweet savory dish..
  7. ... on October 3, 2011 at 1:28 AM  
  8. Anonymous said...
    Oh, this looks amazing! How cool that you made your own tamarind sauce! I can't indulge with the seafood, but it looks amazing!
  9. ... on October 3, 2011 at 12:46 PM  
  10. Anonymous said...
    This looks delicious. I can't believe how much I want to eat this right now. I'm going to have to go grocery shopping tomorrow. So glad to have met you via Foodbuzz :)
  11. ... on October 4, 2011 at 1:10 AM  
  12. Andrea Nguyen said...
    Homemade tamarind liquid makes a world of difference in pad Thai. So much better than Aack -- ketchup!
  13. ... on October 4, 2011 at 4:40 AM  
  14. Lyñ (My Little Messy N Cheeky) said...
    I was just telling a Thai friend yesterday that I wanted to try cooking Pad Thai one of these days and now I saw your Pad Thai post shared in FB! ;D
    Shall cook this for this friend of mine when she visits again! Tks for sharing this delish recipe. Have a great week ahead! ;)
  15. ... on October 4, 2011 at 5:14 AM  
  16. Prathima Rao said...
    Super tempting pad thai!!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner
  17. ... on October 5, 2011 at 12:00 AM  
  18. Angie's Recipes said...
    The pad thai looks so appetizing and tasty!
  19. ... on October 5, 2011 at 4:37 AM  
  20. Veronica's Kitchen said...
    This is one of my favourite noodles, Yum!
  21. ... on October 5, 2011 at 12:00 PM  
  22. mjskit said...
    I have to admit that Pad Thai is my favorite Thai food. I always order it but have never made it. Thanks so much for posting this recipe and the how to pictures! The dish looks great and the how to pictures are very helpful!
  23. ... on October 6, 2011 at 1:23 PM  
  24. Sook said...
    Look at those crushed peanuts... my favorite in pad thai! :)
  25. ... on October 7, 2011 at 7:10 PM  
  26. Elisabeth said...
    Hi Sel-I love your Pad Thai noodles...especially with the shrimp...I haven't made this in a long time, and your recipe is simple, perfect, and delicious.
    Thanks for sharing:DDD
  27. ... on October 9, 2011 at 5:48 AM  
  28. Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...
    Oh this look delicious, and homemade Tamarind?! I must try to make that. Your photos are stellar, and instructions are so helpful.

    I am so happy to have met you on FB, and nowI am a new follower here on your blog. Thank you for sharing such good things! :D
  29. ... on October 9, 2011 at 3:00 PM  
  30. cookingvarieties said...
    hi dear, i am back..
    I have tagged you in a short game , where you have to publish the links on your own 3 favorite recipes. I think this is a good way to get visitors attention. There is no award here. Do come over. Thanks.
  31. ... on October 10, 2011 at 4:11 AM  
All recipes are on Petitchef

Like My Blog? Follow Me

Like Me on Facebook

Grab My Badge

Spoon and Chopsticks

Copy and paste the text below on your blog's sidebar widget.