Follow Me on Twitter
Spoon and Chopsticks Facebook Page
Follow by email:


Yellow split lentils are also known as mung beans. They are relatively easy to cook and digest. There are different types of mung beans or yellow lentils available in the market. For this recipe, make sure you get "yellow split lentils". I usually don't find these in my local supermarket so I buy these from South Asian groceries.

Yellow Split Lentil (Mung Beans) Pankcake

In the recipe below, I am making yellow split lentil pancakes with mince. You can also make it vegetarian by simply removing the mince from the recipe and following the same preparation methods.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup yellow split lentils, soaked in water overnight
  • Oil for greasing the pan
  • 100g mince (I used beef)
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • Salt to taste
  • Pepper to taste
Preparation:
  • Drain water from the soaked lentils.
Yellow Split Lentil (Mung Beans) Pankcake
  • Make fine paste of lentil using your food processor or grinder.
Yellow Split Lentil (Mung Beans) Pankcake
  • Mix mince, garlic, salt and pepper with the lentil paste to make a batter.
Yellow Split Lentil (Mung Beans) PankcakeYellow Split Lentil (Mung Beans) Pankcake
  • Heat non-stick pan in a medium high. Grease lightly with oil.
  • Put 2 tablespoon of mixed batter on the pan and spread it out with the help of a spoon or your fingers. Do not make it too thin. The thickness should be no more than 1/2 inch otherwise it will be hard to cook thoroughly or hard to turn over.
Yellow Split Lentil (Mung Beans) Pankcake
  • Cook until one side is brown. Then turn over and cook the other side.
 Yellow Split Lentil (Mung Beans) Pankcake


13 comments:

    Elisabeth said...
    This is so yummy, I've made this before, but vegetarian style. Love the mince meat in it, as well. So comforting and satisfying!
  1. ... on February 27, 2011 at 12:51 PM  
  2. Anonymous said...
    This looks great, i make vegi version but ur recipe is really nice thanks for sharing this.
  3. ... on February 27, 2011 at 1:17 PM  
  4. Cooking Gallery said...
    I am not very familiar with lentils, thank you for sharing this recipe. Will try to make this one day, because it looks so yummy :)!
  5. ... on February 27, 2011 at 8:47 PM  
  6. Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...
    Look great and nice!
  7. ... on February 27, 2011 at 8:51 PM  
  8. sarahworldcook said...
    Thanks for the nice comment on my page. I really like your blog, as well. I am going to follow it. You have lots of great ideas and pictures. This recipe is a must-try. I have been using more beans and love the yellow lentils- never thought to try them this way. Looking forward to seeing more of your good dishes.

    http://homestyleworldcook.blogspot.com
  9. ... on March 1, 2011 at 2:28 AM  
  10. Susi's Kochen und Backen said...
    I love lentils, but have never had them in a pancake. These look and sound delicious!
  11. ... on March 1, 2011 at 2:47 AM  
  12. Mary Bergfeld said...
    These really look like they have some texture. I've never made "burgers" using split peas but there is always a first time. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary
  13. ... on March 1, 2011 at 10:23 AM  
  14. pigpigscorner said...
    This sounds really delicious! Reminds me of potato pancakes.
  15. ... on March 2, 2011 at 8:08 AM  
  16. Manu said...
    Yum! I have never tried these: they look delicious!!! I love all lentils!
  17. ... on March 3, 2011 at 11:53 AM  
  18. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
    Thanks for all the comments.
  19. ... on March 12, 2011 at 5:21 PM  
  20. Anna C said...
    I've only ever used lentils in soups. Thanks for the inspiration.
  21. ... on March 20, 2011 at 1:01 AM  
  22. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
    @Anna C: Give it a try. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
  23. ... on March 24, 2011 at 5:58 PM  
  24. Jeanne Rose said...
    Will definitely try this in the vegetarian version. They look amazing!
  25. ... on May 5, 2013 at 3:51 AM  
All recipes are on Petitchef

Like My Blog? Follow Me

Like Me on Facebook

Grab My Badge

Spoon and Chopsticks

Copy and paste the text below on your blog's sidebar widget.