Follow Me on Twitter
Spoon and Chopsticks Facebook Page
Follow by email:


Dried Anchovies in Tomato is a great accompaniment with rice, flatbreads and other types of breads. The dried anchovies goes very well with tomato and other spices. You can also add green or red chillies if you like it hot. I prefer using Roma tomatoes because they have a sweet flavour but you can still use other tomatoes. This dish is very easy to prepare with only few preparation steps. Let me know what you think.



This recipe makes about 3-4 serves.

Ingredients:
  • 5 Roma tomatoes, chopped
  • A handful of dried anchovies
  • Small piece of ginger, finely chopped
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • Fresh chillies, finely chopped or chilli powder according to taste
  • Salt according to taste
  • Few cracks of pepper
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder (optional)
Preparation:
  • Heat oil in a saucepan in a medium heat. Add dried anchovies and fry for a minute or two.



  • Add ginger and garlic and continue frying until the garlic gets a little colour.
  • Add tomatoes and continue frying until the tomatoes get soft. This may take approximately 5-6 minutes.
  • Now add salt, chillies, pepper and turmeric powder and mix well.
  • Add half a cup of water and simmer for another 5 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
  • Serve it warm.


13 comments:

    Mary Bergfeld said...
    This is a really interesting recipe. I'll have to keep my eyes open for dried anchovies. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary
  1. ... on September 25, 2010 at 12:24 PM  
  2. Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...
    oh boy does this ever look awesome! love the garlic anchovies and plum tomatoes nice!
    As for you question on my blog, bread crumbs are good for at least three months, cool dry place air tight container, I keep mine longer in an air tight bag seal and saver machine that takes the air out, they keep much longer...thanks for stopping by take care!
  3. ... on September 25, 2010 at 12:24 PM  
  4. Monet said...
    I imagine that these would be wonderful with some flatbread...such a flavorful little dish. Thank you for sharing with me...and visiting my blog!
  5. ... on September 26, 2010 at 3:01 PM  
  6. What to cook today said...
    It looks great! I love anchovies and I can imagine dipping flat bread in there!!!!!
  7. ... on September 28, 2010 at 1:31 AM  
  8. Reeni said...
    I love anchovies - this is such a delicious preparation for them! And so healthy too!
  9. ... on September 28, 2010 at 5:55 AM  
  10. Karen said...
    Sounds really good on top of bread...I like it with the chiles!
  11. ... on September 28, 2010 at 2:33 PM  
  12. Biren said...
    This looks very flavorful and will probably go very well with steamed rice.
  13. ... on September 29, 2010 at 12:40 AM  
  14. MaryMoh said...
    This looks very appetising. I can eat a lot of rice with this :D
  15. ... on September 29, 2010 at 6:02 PM  
  16. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
    Great to hear from you all. I personally like to try this with steamed rice but flatbreads are equally good.

    @Pegasuslegend, thanks for answering my question.

    @Karen: It's wonderful with chilli. A great combination of chilli and the sweetness of Roma tomatoes.
  17. ... on October 1, 2010 at 11:10 PM  
  18. Magic of Spice said...
    I have never worked with dried anchovies...but this looks so good :)
  19. ... on October 5, 2010 at 9:15 AM  
  20. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
    @Magic of Spice: Give it a try. I'm sure you'll like it. It has its own distinct flavour.
  21. ... on October 9, 2010 at 7:59 AM  
  22. TheRamblingEpicure said...
    Because you asked, The Rambling Epicure is my site at theramblingepicure.tumblr.com, with the main site theramblingepicure.com to be up soon, as well as my Facebook Writer page.

    By the way, what do you eat this with? It seems it could be a really versatile dish.
  23. ... on October 18, 2010 at 12:56 AM  
  24. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
    @The Rambling Epicure: You have an informative website Jonell. I like it.

    The anchovies dish goes well, as an accompaniment, with rice, flatbreads or other types of breads. Can you think of other ways to eat this? Please share.
  25. ... on October 18, 2010 at 6:32 AM  
All recipes are on Petitchef

Like My Blog? Follow Me

Like Me on Facebook

Grab My Badge

Spoon and Chopsticks

Copy and paste the text below on your blog's sidebar widget.